Top 6 Electricity Safety Tips for Homeowners and Business Owners

Oct 05, 2022

I had a memory flashback the other day about how I landed in the hospital due to an electrical hazard. It seemed like one minute I was in the living room, and the next I was in a hospital bed.

I got an electrical shock right after lunch when I tried to fix an electrical issue while my laptop computer was plugged in. It felt like someone had put their hands on my head and zapped me with electricity from the inside out! From that incident, I learned a valuable lesson which I will be sharing with you.

Electricity is everywhere in our homes and workplaces. It powers appliances like light bulbs, computers, and even medical equipment. But there are also dangers associated with using electricity.

Here are 6 ways you can avoid these dangers.

1. When not in use, unplug your appliances: Unplugging appliances will not only save you money on energy costs, but it may also help safeguard your equipment from power surges and other electrical accidents.

2. Keep electrical equipment away from wet areas: Keep liquids away from electrical devices and power sources. It is recommended you install ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs), which prevent electrical accidents like electrical shocks, ground faults, fires, overheating and destruction of wire insulation, and are advised for installation.

3. Cords should never be run beneath carpets, rugs, doors, or windows:  When cords are left constantly exposed in your home, they might trip you up and invite electrical accidents. In addition, a cord under a rug or carpet poses a fire risk. If you discover that you frequently use extension cables, talk to your electrician about installing new outlets throughout your home that are close to the devices you frequently plug in.

4. Don't do it yourself (DIY): Most home repairs end up making things worse rather than better. In the event that an electrical problem arises, it is advisable to have a professional handle it. It's necessary to call a certified electrician if your lights are flickering, your circuits are frequently tripping, you see sparks, or you smell burning or rubbery odours. These alerts point to a more serious electrical issue that requires immediate attention at the source rather than DIY fixes.

5. Get rid of broken extension cords: While using the proper extension cord may help your cords last longer, they should still be changed as needed. When extension cables aren't functioning properly, buying new ones instead of attempting to repair damaged ones will assist in avoiding electrical fires, surges, and sparks.

6. Get a smart surge extension from BuyPower: The BuyPower smart surge is one of the best surge protectors around. It is made from superior materials; it is durable, efficient, and portable, with enough space to power and protect your devices from electrical sparks, thereby keeping you out of danger.

You are guaranteed maximum surge protection and insurance on all plugged-in devices. You can get yours here.

P.S: To share your thoughts with us, sign up for a free Disqus account. We'd love to hear from you.

Did you find this post helpful? Sign up here and we'll let you know whenever we publish a new one.


Hi. My name is Simbi. Follow me to get tips on how to improve your electricity, upscale your business and solve all utility challenges today.

Great! You've successfully subscribed.
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.